Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Acer after 3 or so months

I've had my Acer Tablet for a little over 3 months. Over all I am very pleased with the tablet. The performance under XP is nice, the fit and finish is nice and the battery life meets my needs.

I bumped the machine up to 2 gig. I also moved to a 120 gig 5400 RPM drive. I was unable to use the recovery disks on the new drive, so I imaged it using True Image from Acronis.

If there is a disc in the slot, picking the tablet up and moving it makes a grinding noise. Avoid doing this.

For the battery, using OneNote 2007 and no wireless, I typically get over 3 hours of time on the machine. This is with the 6 cell battery. I don't use the 3 cell enough to know the runtime, but it appears to be about 1.5 hours.

I've installed a few builds of Vista on the machine. Beta 2 I removed due to performance issues. I just put the latest build on the machine. I need to reinstall Office 2007 to get a feel for how this build will work. One problem I had with Beta 2 was the drivers and screen rotation. Rotating the screen from the control panel applet (I couldn't get the hardware buttons to work) would cause the screen to go blank with just a mouse cursor. The nVidia drivers only show primary landscape as the option. The Glass effects were set up during the install. Previous builds I had to monkey with it to get it to work properly.

It's a good tablet and I'm glad I bought it. For the 800 or so I saved from the Toshiba, I think it was a good investment.

No comments: