Friday, November 02, 2007

Media System

I have a modest HD setup in my office, LG 32 inch LCD 720p, Sony surround sound system, Sony Blu-Ray and Tivo HD.

HD is through on the air broadcasting from an antenna. I'm lucky in that most of the major networks have towers within a few miles of my house. The exception is ABC which gives me the most trouble. I love the picture. Since the LG has an optical out, I can run that to the Sony and get 5.1 for the HD shows.

The Blu-Ray is amazing. I can't imagine how much better it would be in 1080p or a larger screen (living room to be upgraded to a 42 - 50" 1080p at some point). The player is pig-dog slow though. I am amazed how long it takes for the thing to turn on and be able to put in a disc. Once it is in, it is beautiful.

The Tivo. I loved my dual tuner SD Tivo. Actually, so did my wife. I could set the wish lists and season passes and we'd get it all. Wonderful. I could transfer to the PC and burn to DVD to watch anywhere. No HD though. I gave in and bought the HD. A concern was the recording length. With the new shows on, and me having been travelling recently, would it hold everything? Don't know. I didn't run out of space, but I did feel a crunch sometimes and felt I had to keep clearing out space. Recently Tivo enabled external storage for the HD. I picked it up and now have over 80 hours to record. So far no issues with storage. I can't get the TivoToGo to work. I had it installed under Vista, but I reimaged the machine and now it will install, but not run. No biggee, it'll get figured out.

Take the time and invest in a system. I enjoy it immensely.

Day 2 - Post 3

No comments: