Thursday, November 01, 2007

Tablet Upgrades

In the quest for a speedier tablet, I have been changing around some of the components.

Basic tablet info:

Lenovo x60t
1.83 core duo
SXGA
Ultrabase & DVD
4 cell & 8 cell batteries

When I got the machine it had the 5400 rpm 100 gig drive in it. That had to go. I went to a 100 gig 7200 rpm drive. To be honest, I don't know how this affected battery life.

Then, I went from XP to Vista Ultimate. Do I regret it? No. Vista (for my needs) is a much better OS for inking. The process from Lenovo was easy. Install Vista, install the Lenovo update utility, run it a few times.

I was somewhat stuck at this point. Not much else that I could do, 2 Gig RAM sticks were still expensive.

Ahh, 160 gig 7200 RPM drives are out. And not that expensive. Ok, sign me up. The drive went in, I have a new partition for storing stuff. No affect on the battery that I noticed, a little more vibration on the machine.

I looked (drooled over) the x61t. Ooops, out of the budget. Maybe next year.

RAM dropped in price. Ok, I know it will only see 3 - 3.5 gig of the RAM, not all 4 gig. I went for 4 anyway. Put them in, no issues. The OS sees 3.062 Gig of RAM. Battery life may be a little shorter. I seem to notice it on the 4 cell more. Windows Experience Rating went from 3.0 to 3.1.

Next steps? None really. I think I am at a dead end at this point.

Oh, I hear there is a widescreen x61t on the way.....

Day 1 Post 2

No comments: